What did you expect from MMO Engine?

Topics: User Forum
Feb 6, 2007 at 9:49 AM
What did you expect from MMO Engine?
What features games is most valuable for you?
Feb 12, 2007 at 9:21 PM
I would be interested in a game engine that supported semi permanent objects or
destructible environmental elements. The classic example is a destructible bridge.

I would love to build a world where a forest might catch on fire and then eventually grow back to normal. As a builder I would design a particular type of tree with four or five variations all at different stages of growth. I would then create a model or skin for each variation that displayed any number of levels of destruction (or construction).

Back to the bridge example. The builder adds two or three bridge 'sites' to a river. At the start of the game there is nothing there. Once the game begins a player with a special skill of 'surveying' can come along and 'find' these predefined bridge sites and mark them. The next player comes along and 'hires' a bunch of NPCs to build the bridge. The bridge model changes a couple of times during the course of construction. Maybe halfway through, the bridge allows foot traffic only. A few game days later, a horde of insane trolls comes along and bashes the entire bridge to bits, leaving behind the barest of ruins.

I don't exactly know how fun it would be to play out this exact scenario in a game but this is the type of functionality I would like to have at my fingertips as a world builder. I realize there are some significant technical hurdles with this type of thing in a persistent virtual world. I have almost no idea what they would be exactly...

The project looks vast and very interesting. I will be keeping an eye on your progress.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:14 AM
It's hard to say what features are most important - that probably depends on the exact type of gameplay the designer(s) want to create. Some people will want things like weather, seasonal effects or other eye candy, others will want a great quest or PVP system. I've noticed that a lot of MMO projects neglect the user interface - everybody will need that so I'll say a good GUI/HUD system is important.

I'm looking forward to seeing your demo - do you still plan to release it on the 15th?
Feb 15, 2007 at 9:09 AM
Thank you for your comments.

I am working with MMO server currently and unfortunately have no time to provide stabile example till 15 February. I postponed the next example till the 19 February.