CodePlex rules

Topics: User Forum
Feb 3, 2007 at 10:33 AM
Are you not suppose to publish the source code to you project, according to the CodePlex rules?
Coordinator
Feb 4, 2007 at 8:14 AM
I will release the source code for the future examples but I am not going to publish the whole source code of MMO Engine.
Feb 4, 2007 at 2:28 PM
You could publish the code under an education licens so that people only are allowed to read your code, but not use it. Personally I would like to see the code, because i think i could learn a great deal abute DirectPlay (because there are not many leaning recources on the web that teaches DirectPlay :()
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2007 at 11:52 AM
The best tutorial that I founded about DirectPlay
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article764.asp
Feb 27, 2007 at 8:55 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2007 at 9:01 PM
This is taken from the CodePlex FAQ:
What are the requirements for hosting a project on CodePlex?
Your project must meet the following criteria:

1. It must comply with the open source definition
2. It must be an ongoing project (no "abandoned" projects)
3. It must have source code (no non-software projects)

Your project is titled "XNA Massive Multiplayer Online Action Engine"
If you are not going to open the source to the whole engine then you need to take it somewhere else or break your project into other projects that you are willing to release source code to. The source from your current release just looks like DirectPlay network code, so just release that under a different project. Don't bait people into looking at your project thinking they will get to see some MMO Engine code only to find that you don't want to release the core code.

This site is for open collaboration on projects. Don't expect many to jump up and help you if you are going to keep the doors shut on your core code.

P.S. Besides... DirectPlay has been deprecated and has stopped development since the DirectX December 2004 Update.

From ToyMaker.info
"Microsoft DirectPlay has been deprecated and is considered obsolete. While the DirectPlay runtime components will still be supported for the life of the operating system, the headers, libraries and documentation may be removed in a future release of the SDK."